- Parents involvement starts with asking if there is homework and then checking to see that it is done.
- When checking, ask your child to talk through the homework.
- When checking, ask your child to explain the answer.
- Parents establish a routine for homework, which includes asking if there is homework to be done all of the way through checking the homework before it goes back into the back pack.
- Create a special place for your child to do his homework, a place free of distractions like the TV.
- If your child's teacher has not already done so ask her for a homework calendar for the week so you will know how to plan.
- Completing homework should be acknowledged and positively reinforced.
- Homework should never be used as a punishment. Use it as an opportunity for a little one on one with your child, and to find out what your child is learning in class.